In addition to other duties imposed upon him or her by or pursuant to the County Civil Service Act, it shall be the duty of the county personnel officer:
(1) To apply and carry out the act and the rules and regulations adopted thereunder;
(2) To attend meetings of the personnel policy board and to act as its secretary and keep minutes of its proceedings;
(3) To establish and maintain a roster of all employees in the classified service, in which there shall be set forth as to each employee the class title, pay, or status, and other pertinent data;
(4) To appoint such employees of his or her office and such experts and special assistants as may be necessary to carry out effectively the act;
(5) To foster and develop, in cooperation with appointing authorities and others, programs for the improvement of employee effectiveness, including training, safety, health, counseling, and welfare;
(6) To encourage and exercise leadership in the development of effective personnel administration with the several county agencies, departments, and institutions; and
(7) To perform such other lawful acts as he or she may consider necessary or desirable to carry out the purposes and provisions of the County Civil Service Act.