(1) Any person who desires to create a buffer strip adjacent to surface water on his or her property may submit an application for buffer strip reimbursement to the district. The application shall include the location of the proposed buffer strip and the total number of acres to be included in the proposed buffer strip. If the person will receive any money from any other source for use of the land proposed for the buffer strip, the application shall include the identity of the source or sources, the amount of money to be received, and the length of time the money will be received.
(2) All applications for buffer strip reimbursement under the Buffer Strip Act shall be submitted by a date established by rules and regulations adopted and promulgated pursuant to section 2-5111.
(3) Upon receipt of an application for buffer strip reimbursement, the district shall review the application for compliance with the requirements set forth in the rules and regulations adopted and promulgated pursuant to section 2-5111.
(4) If the district determines that the application is not in compliance with the requirements established by the department, the district shall inform the applicant of the deficiencies in the plan and, if feasible, recommend an alternate plan which complies with the rules and regulations of the department. The applicant may then submit a new application consistent with the recommendation of the district.
(5) If the district determines that the application is in compliance with the standards established by the department, the district shall forward the application to the department. The application shall include a written evaluation of the applicant's compliance with the requirements set forth in rules and regulations adopted and promulgated pursuant to section 2-5111.