It is hereby declared to be the public policy of the State of Nebraska to protect and foster the health, prosperity, and general welfare of its people by protecting and stabilizing the dry pea and lentil industry and the economy of the areas producing dry peas and lentils. The commission shall be the agency of the State of Nebraska for such purpose. In connection with and in furtherance of such purpose, the commission shall have the power to:
(1) Formulate the general policies and programs of the State of Nebraska respecting the discovery, promotion, and development of markets and industries for the utilization of dry peas and lentils grown within the State of Nebraska;
(2) Adopt and devise a program of education and publicity;
(3) Cooperate with local, state, or national organizations, whether public or private, in carrying out the purposes of the Dry Pea and Lentil Resources Act and enter into such contracts as may be necessary;
(4) Adopt and promulgate such rules and regulations as are necessary to promptly and effectively enforce the Dry Pea and Lentil Resources Act. The rules and regulations shall include provisions which prescribe the procedure for adjustment of the excise tax by the commission pursuant to section 2-4111;
(5) Conduct, in addition to the things enumerated in this section, any other program for the development, utilization, and marketing of dry peas and lentils grown in the State of Nebraska. Such programs may include a program to make grants and enter into contracts for research and accumulation of data;
(6) Make refunds for overpayments of the excise tax according to rules and regulations adopted and promulgated by the commission; and
(7) Employ personnel and contract for services which are necessary for the proper operation of the Dry Pea and Lentil Resources Act.