(1) Members of the board shall, as nearly as possible, be representative of all first purchasers of milk and individual producer-processors in the state and, to the extent practicable, result in equitable representation of the various interests of milk producers both in terms of the manner in which milk is marketed and geographic distribution of milk production units in the state.
(2) The terms of the members of the board shall be three years, except that the first term of the initial and additional members of the board shall be staggered so that one-third of the members are appointed each year. The number of years for the first term of new and additional members shall be determined by the Governor. Once duly appointed and qualified, no member's term shall be shortened or terminated by any subsequent certification by the Department of Agriculture of milk production units from which a first purchaser of milk purchases milk.
(3) The Director of Agriculture or his or her designee shall be an ex officio member of the board but shall have no vote in board matters.
(4) Members of the board shall elect from among the members a chairperson, a vice-chairperson, and such other officers as they deem necessary and appropriate.
(5) Members of the board shall be reimbursed for expenses as provided in sections 81-1174 to 81-1177.