16-637. Improvements; special tax; assessments; action to recover.

Any party feeling aggrieved by any special tax or assessment, or proceeding for improvements, may pay such special taxes assessed and levied upon his, her, or its property, or such installments thereof as may be due at any time before the special tax or assessment shall become delinquent, under protest, and with notice in writing to the city treasurer that he, she, or it intends to sue to recover the special tax or assessment, which notice shall particularly state the alleged grievance and the ground for the grievance. Such party shall have the right to bring a civil action within sixty days to recover so much of the special tax or assessment paid as he, she, or it shows to be illegal, inequitable, and unjust, the costs to follow the judgment or to be apportioned by the court, as may seem proper, which remedy shall be exclusive. The city treasurer shall promptly report all such notices to the city council for such action as may be proper. No court shall entertain any complaint that the party was authorized to make and did not make to the city council, sitting as a board of equalization, nor any complaint not specified in such notice fully enough to advise the city of the exact nature thereof, nor any complaint that does not go to the groundwork, equity, and justness of such tax. The burden of proof to show such tax or part thereof invalid, inequitable, and unjust shall rest upon the party who brings the suit.

Source:Laws 1901, c. 18, § 48, LV, p. 259; Laws 1901, c. 19, § 4, p. 307; Laws 1907; c. 13, § 1, p. 111; R.S.1913, § 4931; C.S.1922, § 4099; Laws 1925, c. 50, § 11, p. 199; C.S.1929, § 16-628; R.S.1943, § 16-637; Laws 1967, c. 67, § 15, p. 226; Laws 2016, LB704, § 103.