For purposes of the Local Government Miscellaneous Expenditure Act:
(1) Elected and appointed officials and employees shall mean the elected and appointed officials and employees of any local government;
(2) Governing body shall mean, in the case of a city of any class, the city council; in the case of a village, cemetery district, community hospital for two or more adjoining counties, county hospital, road improvement district, sanitary drainage district, or sanitary and improvement district, the board of trustees; in the case of a county, the county board; in the case of a municipal county, the council; in the case of a township, the town board; in the case of a school district, the school board; in the case of a rural or suburban fire protection district, reclamation district, natural resources district, regional metropolitan transit authority, or hospital district, the board of directors; in the case of a health district, the board of health; in the case of an educational service unit, the board; in the case of a community college, the Community College Board of Governors for the area the board serves; in the case of an airport authority, the airport authority board; in the case of a weed control authority, the board; in the case of a county agricultural society, the board of governors; and in the case of a learning community, the learning community coordinating council;
(3) Local government shall mean cities of any class, villages, cemetery districts, community hospitals for two or more adjoining counties, county hospitals, road improvement districts, counties, townships, sanitary drainage districts, sanitary and improvement districts, school districts, rural or suburban fire protection districts, reclamation districts, natural resources districts, regional metropolitan transit authorities, hospital districts, health districts, educational service units, community colleges, airport authorities, weed control authorities, county agricultural societies, and learning communities;
(4) Public funds shall mean such public funds as defined in section 13-503 as are under the direct control of governing bodies of local governments;
(5) Public meeting shall mean all regular, special, or called meetings, formal or informal, of any governing body for the purposes of briefing, discussion of public business, formation of tentative policy, or the taking of any action of the governing body; and
(6) Volunteer shall mean a person who is not an elected or appointed official or an employee of a local government and who, at the request or with the permission of the local government, engages in activities related to the purposes or functions of the local government or for its general benefit.