(1) There shall be created an enterprise zone association within each proposed enterprise zone upon the decision by the political subdivision to submit an enterprise zone application. Such enterprise zone association shall be governed by an enterprise zone association board which shall consist of seven members. The initial members of the board shall be appointed by the mayor of the city or village with the approval of the city council or village board, by the county board, or by the tribal chairperson. The city council, village board, county board, or tribal government shall establish the length of the terms and shall establish staggered terms so that no more than four members of the enterprise zone association board shall be appointed in any one-year period.
(2) The city council, village board, county board, or tribal government shall, by majority vote, nominate candidates and appoint from the candidates qualified persons to fill each vacant, open, or opening seat on the enterprise zone association board. A member of the enterprise zone association board, not otherwise disqualified, whose term of office has ended shall continue to serve as a member of the board until his or her successor is properly qualified and appointed.
(3) Vacancies on the enterprise zone association board shall be filled in the same manner as provided for appointments other than initial appointments, and such members shall serve for the balance of the unexpired terms. A board member may serve more than one term. Any board member appointed as a resident of the area constituting the enterprise zone shall cease to be a member of the enterprise zone association board at such time as he or she ceases to be a resident within the area constituting the zone, and at such time his or her seat shall be vacant.
(4) The enterprise zone association board shall select its own officers and may exercise such other additional powers and authority as may be granted it by the department or the city, village, county, or tribal government. The presence of at least four members of the enterprise zone association board shall be necessary to transact any business.
(5) Individuals chosen to serve as members of the enterprise zone association board shall include property owners, business operators, and users of space within the area of the enterprise zone as well as individuals representing groups or organizations with an interest in furthering the purposes and goals of the enterprise zone. Not less than two-thirds of the members of the enterprise zone association board shall be residents of the area constituting the enterprise zone. For purposes of this section, residents of the area constituting the enterprise zone shall be construed to include those persons residing within a county in which an enterprise zone is located when the enterprise zone is not located in a city of the primary or metropolitan class.
(6) The city, village, county, or tribal government establishing the enterprise zone association shall provide appropriate staff assistance and support to the association.
(7) If an applicant for designation as an enterprise zone does not receive such designation, the association of such applicant shall be dissolved.