The Board of Regents of the University of Nebraska approved the creation of the Nebraska Innovation Campus in 2009. The objective of the Nebraska Innovation Campus is to leverage the research and talent of the University of Nebraska to produce economic development for the State of Nebraska. The Board of Regents subsequently created the Nebraska Innovation Campus Development Corporation whose function is to provide strategic direction and oversight over the development of the Nebraska Innovation Campus.
The Legislature finds that innovation is increasingly important in the creation of new companies and the success of established ones. The Legislature acknowledges the importance of achieving the objective of the Nebraska Innovation Campus which will require a long-term strategy and may require continuing state support.
The Legislature determines that quantifiable measurements and benchmarks are required to track and evaluate the performance of the Nebraska Innovation Campus and its development corporation.
The following measurements regarding the Nebraska Innovation Campus shall be reported to the Legislature by the Board of Regents, to the extent the information is not confidential information of a private sector company:
(1) The percentage of investments by the state and university compared to private sector investments;
(2) The number of square feet of construction;
(3) The number of private sector companies located on Nebraska Innovation Campus;
(4) The number of private sector jobs located on Nebraska Innovation Campus;
(5) The amount of private sector research funding to the university attributable to Nebraska Innovation Campus;
(6) The number of internships or other employment opportunities provided by private sector companies at Nebraska Innovation Campus to university students;
(7) The percentage of facilities leased by private sector companies;
(8) The number of new businesses started or supported at Nebraska Innovation Campus;
(9) The number of conferences and participants at Nebraska Innovation Campus; and
(10) The background and credentials of the appointments to the Nebraska Innovation Campus Development Corporation Board of Directors.
The report shall be submitted electronically to the Clerk of the Legislature by December 1 of each year.