Nebraska Revised Statute 8-909
Chapter 8 Section 909
For purposes of the Nebraska Bank Holding Company Act of 1995, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) Bank means any bank which is chartered to conduct a bank in this state pursuant to the Nebraska Banking Act or any national bank authorized to do business in this state;
(2) Company means any corporation, partnership, limited liability company, business trust, association, or similar organization or entity, but does not include:
(a) An individual; or
(b) Any corporation, the majority of the shares of which are owned by the United States or by any state;
(3)(a) Bank holding company means any company, including an out-of-state bank holding company, which, except as provided in subdivision (b) of this subdivision:
(i) Directly or indirectly owns or controls twenty-five percent or more of the voting shares of any bank;
(ii) Controls in any manner the election of the majority of the directors of any bank; or
(iii) For the benefit of whose shareholders or members twenty-five percent or more of the voting shares of any bank or bank holding company are held by trustees.
(b)(i) No estate, trust, guardianship, or conservatorship or fiduciary thereof shall be a bank holding company by virtue of its ownership or control of a bank or banks if such trust is not a business trust or voting trust. It shall be unlawful for any such estate, trust, guardianship, or conservatorship to acquire, by purchase, ownership, or control, twenty-five percent of the shares of any additional bank;
(ii) No company shall be a bank holding company by virtue of its ownership or control of shares acquired by it in connection with its underwriting of bank shares and which are held only for such period of time as will permit the sale thereof on a reasonable basis; and
(iii) No company shall be a bank holding company by virtue of its ownership or control of shares acquired and held in the ordinary course of securing or collecting a debt previously contracted in good faith, except that such shares shall be disposed of within a period of two years from the date on which they were acquired, unless the director, upon good cause shown, extends the two-year period. Any extensions granted by the director shall be for no more than one year at a time and, in the aggregate, for no more than three years;
(4) Adequately capitalized means a level of capitalization which meets or exceeds all applicable federal regulatory capital standards;
(5) Department means the Department of Banking and Finance;
(6) Director means the Director of Banking and Finance;
(7) Foreign state means any state of the United States other than Nebraska, any territory of the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, the Virgin Islands, or the District of Columbia;
(8) Home state means, with respect to a bank holding company, the state in which the total deposits of all banking subsidiaries of such company are the largest on the later of: (a) July 1, 1966; or (b) the date on which the company becomes a bank holding company under 12 U.S.C. 1842;
(9) Out-of-state bank holding company means a bank holding company whose home state is a foreign state, except an out-of-state bank holding company, as defined in 12 U.S.C. 1842(d) as it existed on August 26, 1983, which owned at least two banks in Nebraska as of March 12, 1963; and
(10) Foreign state agency means any duly constituted regulatory or supervisory agency which has authority over financial institutions and which is created under the laws of any state of the United States other than Nebraska, any territory of the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, or the Virgin Islands or which is operating under the code of law for the District of Columbia.
- Laws 1995, LB 384, § 20;
- Laws 1998, LB 1321, § 69.
- Nebraska Banking Act, see section 8-101.02.