(1) The county attorney or authorized attorney shall:
(a) On request by the Department of Health and Human Services as described in subsection (2) of this section or when the investigation or application filed under section 43-512 or 43-512.02 justifies, file a complaint against a nonsupporting party in the district, county, or separate juvenile court praying for an order for child or medical support in cases when there is no existing child or medical support order. After notice and hearing, the court shall adjudicate the child and medical support liability of either party and enter an order accordingly;
(b) Enforce child, spousal, and medical support orders by an action for income withholding pursuant to the Income Withholding for Child Support Act;
(c) In addition to income withholding, enforce child, spousal, and medical support orders by other civil actions or administrative actions, citing the defendant for contempt, or filing a criminal complaint;
(d) Establish paternity and collect child and medical support on behalf of children born out of wedlock; and
(e) Carry out sections 43-512.12 to 43-512.18.
(2) The department may periodically review cases of individuals receiving enforcement services and make referrals to the county attorney or authorized attorney.
(3) In any action brought by or intervened in by a county attorney or authorized attorney under the Income Withholding for Child Support Act, the License Suspension Act, the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, or sections 42-347 to 42-381, 43-290, 43-512 to 43-512.18, 43-1401 to 43-1418, and 43-3328 to 43-3339, such attorneys shall represent the State of Nebraska.
(4) The State of Nebraska shall be a real party in interest in any action brought by or intervened in by a county attorney or authorized attorney for the purpose of establishing paternity or securing, modifying, suspending, or terminating child or medical support or in any action brought by or intervened in by a county attorney or authorized attorney to enforce an order for child, spousal, or medical support.
(5) Nothing in this section shall be construed to interpret representation by a county attorney or an authorized attorney as creating an attorney-client relationship between the county attorney or authorized attorney and any party or witness to the action, other than the State of Nebraska, regardless of the name in which the action is brought.