Nebraska Revised Statute 32-570
Chapter 32 Section 570
School board; vacancy; how filled.
(1) A vacancy in the membership of a school board shall occur as set forth in section 32-560 or in the case of absences, unless excused by a majority of the remaining members of the board, when a member is absent from the district for a continuous period of sixty days at one time or from more than two consecutive regular meetings of the board. The resignation of a member or any other reason for a vacancy shall be made a part of the minutes of the school board. The school board shall give notice of the date the vacancy occurred, the office vacated, and the length of the unexpired term (a) in writing to the election commissioner or county clerk and (b) by a notice published in a newspaper of general circulation in the school district.
(2) A person appointed to fill a vacancy on the school board of a Class I school district by the remaining members of the board shall hold office until the beginning of the next school year. A board member of a Class I school district elected to fill a vacancy at a regular or special school district meeting shall serve for the remainder of the unexpired term or until a successor is elected and qualified.
(3) Except as provided in subsection (4) of this section, a vacancy in the membership of a school board of a Class II, III, IV, V, or VI school district resulting from any cause other than the expiration of a term shall be filled by appointment of a qualified registered voter by the remaining members of the board for the remainder of the unexpired term. A registered voter appointed pursuant to this subsection shall meet the same requirements as the member whose office is vacant.
(4) Any vacancy in the membership of a school board of a school district described in section 79-549 which does not nominate candidates at a primary election and elect members at the following general election shall be filled by appointment of a qualified registered voter by the remaining members of the board for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(5) If any school board fails to fill a vacancy on the board, the vacancy may be filled by election at a special election or school district meeting called for that purpose. Such election or meeting shall be called in the same manner and subject to the same procedures as other special elections or school district meetings.
(6) If there are vacancies in the offices of one-half or more of the members of a school board, the Secretary of State shall conduct a special school district election to fill such vacancies.