Nebraska Revised Statute 30-24,125
(a) Thirty days after the death of a decedent, any person indebted to the decedent or having possession of tangible personal property or an instrument evidencing a debt, obligation, stock, or chose in action belonging to the decedent shall make payment of the indebtedness or deliver the tangible personal property or an instrument evidencing a debt, obligation, stock, or chose in action to a person claiming to be the successor of the decedent upon being presented an affidavit made by or on behalf of the successor stating:
(1) the value of all of the personal property in the decedent's estate, wherever located, less liens and encumbrances, does not exceed fifty thousand dollars;
(2) thirty days have elapsed since the death of the decedent as shown in a certified or authenticated copy of the decedent's death certificate attached to the affidavit;
(3) the claiming successor's relationship to the decedent or, if there is no relationship, the basis of the successor's claim to the personal property;
(4) the person or persons claiming as successors under the affidavit swear or affirm that all statements in the affidavit are true and material and further acknowledge that any false statement may subject the person or persons to penalties relating to perjury under section 28-915;
(5) no application or petition for the appointment of a personal representative is pending or has been granted in any jurisdiction; and
(6) the claiming successor is entitled to payment or delivery of the property.
(b) A transfer agent of any security shall change the registered ownership on the books of a corporation from the decedent to the successor or successors upon the presentation of an affidavit as provided in subsection (a).
(c) In addition to compliance with the requirements of subsection (a), a person seeking a transfer of a certificate of title to a motor vehicle, motorboat, all-terrain vehicle, utility-type vehicle, or minibike shall be required to furnish to the Department of Motor Vehicles an affidavit showing applicability of this section and compliance with the requirements of this section to authorize the department to issue a new certificate of title.
Laws 1974, LB 354, § 203, UPC § 3-1201;
Laws 1996, LB 909, § 1;
Laws 1999, LB 100, § 4;
Laws 1999, LB 141, § 6;
Laws 2004, LB 560, § 2;
Laws 2009, LB35, § 22;
Laws 2010, LB650, § 2.