Nebraska Revised Statute 29-2537
Chapter 29 Section 2537
Convicted person; appears to be incompetent; notice to judge; suspend sentence; commission appointed; findings; suspension of execution; when; annual review.
(1) If any convicted person under sentence of death shall appear to be incompetent, the Director of Correctional Services shall forthwith give notice thereof to a judge of the district court of the judicial district in which the convicted person was tried and sentenced and such judge shall at once make such investigation as shall satisfy him or her as to whether a commission ought to be named to examine such convicted person.
(2) If the court determines that there is not sufficient reason for the appointment of a commission, the court shall so find and refuse to suspend the execution of the convicted person. If the court determines that a commission ought to be appointed to examine such convicted person, the court shall make a finding to that effect and cause it to be entered upon the records of the district court in the county in which such convicted person was sentenced, and, if necessary, the court shall suspend the execution and appoint three licensed mental health professionals employed by the state as a commission to examine such convicted person. The commission shall examine the convicted person to determine whether he or she is competent or incompetent and shall report its findings in writing to the court within ten days after its appointment. If two members of the commission find the convicted person incompetent, the court shall suspend the convicted person's execution until further order. Thereafter, the court shall appoint a commission annually to review the convicted person's competency. The results of such review shall be provided to the court. If the convicted person is subsequently found to be competent by two members of the commission, the court shall certify that finding to the Supreme Court which shall then establish a date for the enforcement of the convicted person's sentence.
(3) The standard for the determination of competency under this section shall be the same as the standard for determining competency to stand trial.
- Laws 1973, LB 268, § 22;
- Laws 1986, LB 1177, § 8;
- Laws 2009, LB36, § 1;
- Laws 2015, LB268, § 35;
- Referendum 2016, No. 426.
- Note: The repeal of section 29-2537 by Laws 2015, LB 268, section 35, is not effective because of the vote on the referendum at the November 2016 general election. This version of section 29-2537 is found in Volume 1 of the 2014 Cumulative Supplement of the Revised Statutes of Nebraska.