Nebraska Revised Statute 28-311.12
Chapter 28 Section 311.12
Foreign sexual assault protection order; enforcement.
(1) A valid foreign sexual assault protection order or an order similar to a sexual assault protection order issued by a court of another state, territory, possession, or tribe shall be accorded full faith and credit by the courts of this state and enforced as if it were issued in this state.
(2) A foreign sexual assault protection order issued by a court of another state, territory, possession, or tribe shall be valid if:
(a) The issuing court had jurisdiction over the parties and matter under the law of such state, territory, possession, or tribe;
(b) The respondent was given reasonable notice and an opportunity to be heard sufficient to protect the respondent's right to due process before the order was issued; and
(c) The sexual assault protection order from another jurisdiction has not been rendered against both the petitioner and the respondent, unless: (i) The respondent filed a cross or counter petition, complaint, or other written pleading seeking such a sexual assault protection order; and (ii) the issuing court made specific findings of sexual assault offenses against both the petitioner and respondent and determined that each party was entitled to such an order.
(3) There is a presumption of the validity of the foreign protection order when the order appears authentic on its face.
(4) A peace officer may rely upon a copy of any putative valid foreign sexual assault protection order which has been provided to the peace officer by any source.
- Laws 2017, LB289, § 5.
- Effective Date: August 24, 2017