Nebraska Revised Statute 25-21,247
Chapter 25 Section 21,247
Health care payor or employee; immunity from criminal or civil liability; when.
(1) For purposes of this section, health care payor shall include, but not be limited to:
(a) An insurer;
(b) A health maintenance organization;
(c) Medicare or medicaid;
(d) A legal entity which is self-insured and provides health care benefits for its employees; or
(e) A person responsible for administering the payment of health care expenses for another person or entity.
(2) Any health care payor or employee thereof who has reasonable cause to believe that there has been a violation of section 38-178 or 38-179 or a fraudulent insurance act described in the Insurance Fraud Act or section 28-631 may discuss or inquire of other health care payors about such violation or act. Any health care payor or employee so discussing or inquiring or responding to such an inquiry from another health care payor shall be immune from criminal penalty or from civil liability for slander, libel, defamation, or breach of the physician-patient privilege if the discussion, inquiry, or response is made in good faith without reckless disregard for the truth.
- Laws 1994, LB 1223, § 131;
- Laws 1995, LB 385, § 9;
- Laws 2007, LB463, § 1116.
- Insurance Fraud Act, see section 44-6601.