Nebraska Revised Statute 25-1628
Chapter 25 Section 1628
Jury list; how made up.
(1) At least once each calendar year, the officer having charge of the election records shall furnish to the jury commissioner a complete list of the names, dates of birth, addresses, and motor vehicle operator license numbers or state identification card numbers of all registered electors nineteen years of age or older in the county. The Department of Motor Vehicles shall make available to each jury commissioner each December a list in magnetic, optical, digital, or other electronic format mutually agreed to by the jury commissioner and the department containing the names, dates of birth, addresses, and motor vehicle operator license numbers or state identification card numbers of all licensed motor vehicle operators and state identification card holders nineteen years of age or older in the county. The jury commissioner may request such a list of licensed motor vehicle operators and state identification card holders from the county treasurer if the county treasurer has an automated procedure for developing such lists. If a jury commissioner requests similar lists at other times from the department, the cost of processing such lists shall be paid by the county which the requesting jury commissioner serves.
(2) Upon receipt of both lists described in subsection (1) of this section, the jury commissioner shall combine the separate lists and attempt to reduce duplication to the best of his or her ability to produce a master list. In counties having a population of seven thousand inhabitants or more, the jury commissioner shall produce a master list at least once each calendar year. In counties having a population of three thousand inhabitants but less than seven thousand inhabitants, the jury commissioner shall produce a master list at least once every two calendar years. In counties having a population of less than three thousand inhabitants, the jury commissioner shall produce a master list at least once every five calendar years.
(3) The proposed juror list shall be derived by selecting from the master list the name of the person whose numerical order on such list corresponds with the key number and each successive tenth name thereafter. The jury commissioner shall certify that the proposed juror list has been made in accordance with sections 25-1625 to 25-1637.
(4) Any duplication of names on a master list shall not be grounds for quashing any panel pursuant to section 25-1637 or for the disqualification of any juror.
- Laws 1915, c. 248, § 4, p. 569;
- C.S.1922, § 9098;
- C.S.1929, § 20-1628;
- R.S.1943, § 25-1628;
- Laws 1957, c. 88, § 1, p. 337;
- Laws 1971, LB 11, § 1;
- Laws 1985, LB 113, § 2;
- Laws 1988, LB 111, § 1;
- Laws 1989, LB 82, § 1;
- Laws 2003, LB 19, § 5;
- Laws 2005, LB 402, § 1;
- Laws 2009, LB35, § 10;
- Laws 2010, LB712, § 3.
A defendant in a criminal case is not entitled to a proportionate number of his race on the jury. State v. Gutierrez, 187 Neb. 383, 191 N.W.2d 164 (1971).