Nebraska Revised Statute 20-144
Chapter 20 Section 144
Finding by Legislature.
The Legislature finds:
(1) That the policy of the State of Nebraska is to insure the free flow of news and other information to the public, and that those who gather, write, or edit information for the public or disseminate information to the public may perform these vital functions only in a free and unfettered atmosphere;
(2) That such persons shall not be inhibited, directly or indirectly, by governmental restraint or sanction imposed by governmental process, but rather that they shall be encouraged to gather, write, edit, or disseminate news or other information vigorously so that the public may be fully informed;
(3) That compelling such persons to disclose a source of information or disclose unpublished information is contrary to the public interest and inhibits the free flow of information to the public;
(4) That there is an urgent need to provide effective measures to halt and prevent this inhibition;
(5) That the obstruction of the free flow of information through any medium of communication to the public affects interstate commerce; and
(6) That sections 20-144 to 20-147 are necessary to insure the free flow of information and to implement the first and fourteenth amendments and Article I, section 5, of the United States Constitution, and the Nebraska Constitution.
- Laws 1973, LB 380, § 1.