Nebraska Revised Statute 16-669
Chapter 16 Section 669
Special assessments; when delinquent; interest; future installments; collection.
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, special assessments for sewer, drainage, or water improvements in a district created pursuant to section 16-667 shall be levied at one time and shall become delinquent in equal annual installments over a period of years equal to the number of years for which the bonds for such project were issued pursuant to section 16-670. The first installment becomes delinquent fifty days after the making of such levy. Each installment, except the first, shall draw interest from the time of such levy until such installment becomes delinquent. After an installment becomes delinquent, interest at the rate specified in section 45-104.01, as such rate may from time to time be adjusted by the Legislature, shall be paid thereon until such installment is collected and paid. Such special assessments shall be collected and enforced as in cases of other special assessments and shall be a lien on such real estate from and after the date of the levy thereof. If three or more installments are delinquent and unpaid on the same property, the city council may by resolution declare all future installments on such delinquent property to be due on a future fixed date. The resolution shall set forth the description of the property and the names of its record title owners and shall provide that all future installments shall become delinquent upon the date fixed. A copy of such resolution shall be published one time each week for not less than twenty days in a legal newspaper in or of general circulation in the city and after the fixed date such future installments shall be deemed to be delinquent and the city may proceed to enforce and collect the total amount due and all future installments.
(2) If the city incurs no new indebtedness pursuant to section 16-670 for sewer or water improvements in a district, special assessments for sewer or water improvements shall be levied at one time and shall become delinquent in equal annual installments over such period of years as the city council determines at the time of making the levy to be reasonable and fair.
- Laws 1901, c. 18, § 48, XXVII, p. 252;
- Laws 1905, c. 24, § 1, p. 248;
- Laws 1911, c. 14, § 1, p. 130;
- Laws 1913, c. 161, § 1, p. 501;
- R.S.1913, § 4951;
- C.S.1922, § 4120;
- C.S.1929, § 16-649;
- Laws 1933, c. 136, § 19, p. 528;
- C.S.Supp.,1941, § 16-649;
- R.S.1943, § 16-669;
- Laws 1953, c. 29, § 1, p. 116;
- Laws 1955, c. 33, § 1, p. 140;
- Laws 1959, c. 64, § 2, p. 286;
- Laws 1969, c. 51, § 31, p. 291;
- Laws 1977, LB 483, § 4;
- Laws 1980, LB 933, § 14;
- Laws 1981, LB 167, § 15;
- Laws 2005, LB 161, § 4;
- Laws 2015, LB361, § 25;
- Laws 2016, LB704, § 121.
This section and section 16-622 require that three payments be delinquent before the city may foreclose, and the city is required to pass and publish an acceleration resolution declaring the entire amount due and owing. City of Kearney v. Johnson, 222 Neb. 541, 385 N.W.2d 427 (1986).